It's a little bit late, I know, but January was kind of stressful and I was also way too lazy to write something here on Booklikes. But now I have time, so I want to tell you about my reading challenges for the next couple of months.

Fifty Fifty Challenge

Like last year I'm going to participate in this challenge once again. It was really fun, so I try again to read 50 books and watch 50 films in one year. Re-reads and re-watches unfortunately don't count, but I'm going to use the option to count books with more than 500 pages as two this year. Last year I didn't have to do that, because I read mostly smaller books. But I want to finish the Shadowmarch series by Tad Williams and start the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson - all reaaalllly long books, so I definitely have to count those as two, because otherwise I won't achieve the goal.

More science fiction, less young adult

I have read way too many young adult books in the last years, so I want to reduce them. It's okay to occasionally read a YA book to have some variation, but I have read so many of them in the past and the stories seem always to be really similar.

Since I tend to read mostly fantasy, I want to explore the science fiction genre - cyberpunk, space opera etc. I'm really looking forward to that.

Read me - every month a new topic

We collected a whole bunch of ideas and chose one for each month. I have to at least read one book every month that matches the topic.

January: read a book from a new author

February: read a book with a white cover or snow/ice on the cover/in the title

March: read a book with an antihero/villain protagonist

April: religion (read a book with religious symbols on the cover or in the title/story)

May: under the sea (read a book that takes place under the sea)

June: read a book with animals as protagonists

July: read a book that takes place in an exotic place

August: read a book about classic time travel or alternative history/past

September: minorities (author or characters)

October: read a book with elements (fire, earth, water, wind) or horoscopes on the cover or in the title/story

November: read a non fiction book

December: read a Christmas themed (cover, title, story) book

If I have problems finding an interesting book for one month, I have the option to choose another topic as a joker:

- scary/creepy/horror: read a book with a vampire, ghost or zombie on the cover or as a protagonist

- literature award: read a book that won an award.

- read the last book of a series

- read a book that has been a long time on your tbr-pile

- give an author a second chance even though you rated one of his books with only one or two stars.

Well, that were my three challenges for this year. I'm really looking forward to all of them. Especially the non-fiction part because now I have a reason to read one. Every year I plan to read non fiction too, but I always forget about it. But this year is going to be different :)