Dark Places - Gillian Flynn Snow Crash - Neal Stephenson The Final Empire  - Brandon Sanderson The Well of Ascension  - Brandon Sanderson

New month means new summary. I gave science fiction/cyberpunk a try, discovered a new fantasy author and read an exiting thriller. If you want to find out more about my book month just keep on reading :)

Dark Places by Gillian Flynn

Since I really liked Flynn's newest book (Gone Girl), I just had to try another of her works to see if it was just a one-hit-wonder. And now I know that I need to read her other books too, because Dark Places was thrilling and exiting and had great characters. It didn't have those extrem twists like Gone Girl, but after only a few pages I just had to continue reading to find out more about what happend in that specific night when Libby Day's life changed completely. 4 stars :)

Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson

My first book by Stephenson and I quite enjoyed it. It's one of the best 100 science fiction and fantasy books voted by NPR and it deserves to be on this list - even though it's reaallllyy outdated sometimes. But while reading you just have to remember when this book was published first, and when you keep that in mind, the ideas are really innovative. Once again 4 stars!

The Final Empire & The Well of Ascension by Brandon Sanderson

Are you looking for a new fantasy series with an imaginative magic system? Well, don't waste time, run to a bookstore and buy the Mistborn Trilogy by Sanderson. 5 stars for the first book and 4 for the sequel - you definitely won't regret it! It's a long time since I read three books of a series consecutively, but I just couldn't wait any longer to find out how Vin's adventure continues.

~ ~ ~

Read Me Challenge February

As mentioned before, I challenged myself to read at least one book each month according to a specific topic. In february I had to read a book with a white cover or ice/snow on the cover or in the title:

- Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson

- The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson

- The Well of Ascension by Brandon Sanderson

50/50 Challenge

- 8 new books so far

- 8 new movies

I think the goal for the end of february would have been 9 movies and books, so I'm behind the schedule. But if I choose to count books with more than 500 pages as two, I would have 11 books, because Shadowrise by Tad Williams, The Final Empire and The Well of Ascension by Brandon Sanderson all have more than 600 pages. But I haven't yet decided if I should do that.

Statistics

books read: 4

genres: fantasy, science fiction (cyberpunk), thriller

pages February: 2,365

pages 2014: 4,283

best book: The Final Empire (Mistborn #1) by Brandon Sanderson

worst book: once again a month without a disappointment

currently reading: The Hero of Ages (Mistborn #3) by Brandon Sanderson

btw. I created an archive on my booklikes page, where I plan to post all my past monthly reviews. Apart from the blog and bookshelves there are also links to my challenges for this year, the list of NPR's Top 100 Science Fiction and Fantasy books and my progress and a site with my contact information.