I went on a shopping spree and went a little bit overboard. But you never can buy too many books, can you? Well, click on "more" and you can read about the new ones I can call my own :)

The Ocean At The End Of The Lane by Neil Gaiman

"The Ocean At The End Of The Lane is a fable that reshapes modern fantasy: moving, terrifying and elegiac - as pure as a dream, as delicate as a butterfly's wing, as dangerous as a knife in the dark - from storytelling genius Neil Gaiman. It began for our narrator forty years ago when the family lodger stole their car and committed suicide in it, stirring up ancient powers best left undisturbed. Dark creatures from beyond this world are on the loose, and it will take everything our narrator has just to stay alive: there is primal horror here, and menace unleashed - within his family and from the forces that have gathered to destroy it. His only defence is three women, on a farm at the end of the lane. The youngest of them claims that her duckpond is an ocean. The oldest can remember the Big Bang." (source)

For a long long time I wanted to read something written by Gaiman, but didn't want to start with a book I've seen the movie adaptation already. And since I read/heard a lot of good things about it, I thought it would be a great starting point.

Shadow & Claw by Gene Wolfe

"Shadow & Claw brings together the first two books of the tetralogy in one volume:  "The Shadow of the Torturer" is the tale of young Severian, an apprentice in the Guild of Torturers on the world called Urth, exiled for committing the ultimate sin of his profession -- showing mercy toward his victim. "The Claw of the Conciliator" continues the saga of Severian, banished from his home, as he undertakes a mythic quest to discover the awesome power of an ancient relic, and learn the truth about his hidden destiny." (source)

I first heard about "The Book Of The New Sun" series on the NPR Top 100 Science Fiction and Fantasy Books and when I found out that it's going to be a group read next month, I thought it would be a great idea, since I want to read my way through this way too long list. I'm really curious to find out if it's justified that this series is under the top 100 books. We'll see :)

The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov

"The devil comes to Moscow wearing a fancy suit. With his disorderly band of accomplices - including a demonic, gun-toting tomcat - he immediately begins to create havoc. Disappearances, destruction and death spread through the city like wildfire and Margarita discovers that her lover has vanished in the chaos. Making a bargain with the devil, she decides to try a little black magic of her own to save the man she loves ..." (source)

Once again a book I wanted to read for a long time and since April's reading topic is religion, it suits perfectly. I mean, the devil's part of the story, so it must be a fit :)

If on a winter's night a traveler by Italo Calvino

"You go into a bookshop and buy If on a Winter's Night a Traveller by Italo Calvino. You like it. But alas there is a printer's error in your copy. You take it back to the shop and get a replacement. But the replacement seems to be a totally different story. You try to track down the original book you were reading but end up with a different narrative again. This remarkable novel leads you through many different books including a detective adventure, a romance, a satire, an erotic story, a diary and a quest. But the real hero is you, the reader." (source)

With such a description it can only be good :) what do you think? Kind of a book in a book, isn't it? Well, I found out about this book because a group was reading it together a few months ago and every single one of them loved it. And since we have a similiar taste I just needed to read it too.

Life After Life by Kate Atkinson

"What if you had the chance to live your life again and again, until you finally got it right? During a snowstorm in England in 1910, a baby is born and dies before she can take her first breath. During a snowstorm in England in 1910, the same baby is born and lives to tell the tale. What if there were second chances? And third chances? In fact an infinite number of chances to live your life? Would you eventually be able to save the world from its own inevitable destiny? And would you even want to?" (source)

I nearly forgot to tell you about this book. I already started reading it yesterday and am now at about 34%. It seems to be the story of a girl's/woman's life and about the concequences of decisions. I'm not totally convinced at this moment, but I do like Atkinson's writing style and I think the story has potential.

Well that are my new books. I hope you bought some interesting ones too in the last couple of days. Have you already read one of my new books? And if yes, how did you like them?