Noah - Sebastian Fitzek A Canticle for Leibowitz - Walter M. Miller Jr. The Master and Margarita - Mikhail Bulgakov Qualitative Religionsforschung: Religionsethnographie in der eigenen Gesellschaft (Uni-Taschenbücher S) - Hubert Knoblauch

Religion was the monthly theme for April and therefore I read a really interesting thriller that kind of reminded me of Dan Brown's Inferno, accompanied a bunch of monks through time and last but not least dived into past Moscow where I met the Master and Margarita and a lot of other characters. If you want to find out more about those books, just keep on reading :)

Noah by Sebastian Fitzek

It's the first book I've ever read from Sebastian Fitzek, a german thriller author. The story accompanies Noah, a homeless person who has lost his memories, on his way to find out more about himself and why there are people that want to kill him. Noah is a really thrilling book I nearly couldn't put away. It definitely deserves four stars and I think that I need to read another book by Fitzek really soon.

A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter Miller Jr.

The book is a post-apocalyptic science fiction story about a group of monks of the Order of St. Leibowitz the Engineer and is devided into three parts. The first part begins around 600 years after the civilization has been destroyed by a nuclear war which lead to a complete rejection of technology by the survivers. A Canticle for Leibowitz is described as a science fiction classic, but to be honest, I don't really see it. For me it was a difficult read, because I wasn't able to read more than a few pages a time and I didn't really like the three independently stories. But on the other hand, the basic idea of this book was very interesting. So I gave this book three stars. Especially since I enjoyed it a lot more than The Prague Cemetery by Umberto Eco which I gave two stars last month.

The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov

Normally I have quite a lot of problems with classics and don't like them that much in the end, but even though Bulgakov started writing The Master and Margarita around 1928, I really enjoyed it. This novel in which the devil visits 1930s Moscow, describes the life of the people in this time in a satirical way. I find it really difficult to find the right words for this book, so I hope it's enough for everyone when I say, that it was a really interesting and entertaining story I would recommend to everyone! Btw I gave it 4,5 stars!

Qualitative Religionsforschung by Hubert Knoblauch

I also re-read this book about qualitative social research and the methods you can use for religious topics. A very interesting book I read a few years ago during my sociology study for a research I did back then. And I used this monthly topic to brush up my knowledge again. It's always difficult to rate specific literature, but since it's quite interesting, I'd give it four stars.

Challenges

50/50 Challenge: I recently decided that I need to count longer books - 600 pages and more - as two. Last year I tended to choose smaller books, so I was able to reach 50 read books. And that made me neglect bigger books nearly completely. That meant that I was missing out on a lot of good stories. So, no way am I doing that this year again. Since I already read four books with more than 600 pages, my number of books jumps up to 19, which means that I'm definitely on track so far :) The movie part of this challenge is doing great too: 18 films so far in the last four months.

Read Me Challenge April: All books I've read this month can be counted for the monthly topic "religion".

- Noah by Sebastian Fitzek: because Noah from the Bible

- A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter Miller Jr.: the story is about the monks from the Order of St. Leibowitz the Engineer.

- The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov: a story about the devil in Moscow.

- Qualitative Religionsforschung by Hubert Knoblauch: a non-fiction book about qualitative research methods for religious topics.

For more informations about my challenges, just visit the specific part of my booklikes page.

Statistics

books read: 3 new, 1 re-read

genres: fantasy, classic, thriller,

pages April: 1,360 (+200 re-read)

pages 2014: 7,844 (+200 re-read)

best book: Definitely The Master and Margarita

worst book: A Canticle for Leibowitz - it's not really a bad book, but it's the one I had the most problems with this month.

currently reading: still working my way through Shadow & Claw by Gene Wolfe