Shadowmarch / Das Herz: BD 4 (German Edition) - Tad Williams, Cornelia Holfelder-von der Tann Saga, Volume 1 - Brian K. Vaughan, Fiona Staples The Sandman, Vol. 1: Preludes and Nocturnes (The Sandman, #1) - Neil Gaiman, Malcolm Jones III, Sam Kieth, Mike Dringenberg Biokrieg - Paolo Bacigalupi, Hannes Riffel

I finally finished a really great epic fantasy series, managed to read a book for the 'definitive sf read'-challenge and started reading some graphic novels. Not that much happend this month, but if you are interested anyway, just click on more and continue reading :)

Shadowmarch - Das Herz (original title: Shadowheart) by Tad Williams: When I started writing the summary of july I thought I only finished a single book. But then I remembered that I read most of this book in the first couple of days... and it had everything: epic battles, enemies become allies, a little bit of a love triangle and family reunion. I loved it and I remembered why I'm such a fan of Tad Williams books! Definitely five stars.

Saga Volume 1 by Brian K. Vaughan: I saw this series of graphic novels everywhere in the last couple of months and it was recommended to me quite a few times. So since I was lacking time to read normal books, I finally gave in and tried it. I really liked the drawing style and the story seems quite promising. I'm going to continue with the next volume really really soon. 4 stars for an entertaining graphic novel!

The Sandman Volume 1: Preludes and Nocturnes by Neil Gaiman: I must have been blind for a long long time, since I didn't know that Gaiman created a graphic novel series about the Sandman, Morpheus. I was blown away by the style of drawing and the story was absolutely captivating. I hope the series continues at this level. Five stars!

The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi: That's the last novel I finished this month. The story takes place in a very interesting setting and I really liked reading about the main characters - a company man working undercover, the windup girl Emiko who is one of the New People and Jaidee, the Tiger of Bangkok. Great book that deserves four stars.

And I'm also in the middle of ...

Kafka On The Shore by Haruki Murakami: Great book so far. I like the protagonists and setting and I'm looking forward to finally knowing how those two seperate stories fit together. Btw, I'm doing the Murakami Bingo by Grant Snider this time - a lot of fun! Here's a link to my progress so far

Nowhere Men Volume 1: Fates Worse Than Death by Eric Stephenson: That's another graphic novel I wanted to try. Interesting story ("science is the new rock 'n' roll"), but I'm not liking the drawing style as much as the one from the other two graphic novels. The story on the other hand is something special and they included a lot of other stuff too - e.g. ads, excerpts of books, interviews and things like that. I'm really enjoying it.

Statistics

books read: 2 (+ 2 graphic novels)

genres: fantasy and science fiction

pages July: 1,486